Advanced Fault InjectionRiscure Academy - Classroom Training
Advanced Fault Injection
20+ hours self-paced eLearning and practical exercise
4.5 hours Live Mentoring
80% or higher on final assessment
Team report (pre vs post assessment)
Scheduled live mentoring
Spaced for efficiency & effectiveness
Scale to multiple groups
After this program participants will be able to
Recognize security assets in a TOE
Understand how to apply the attack tree method
Rate and select attack paths
Describe main methods of defence
Use open source tooling to identify PCB interfaces
Determine relevance of a component for security
Understand relevance of a component to an attacker
Create and apply countermeasures
Defence & Countermeasures
Evaluate required security properties of an asset
Understand modern threats: implementation attacks, SCA, FI
Understand the role of team work in implementation of security primitives
Understand how modern countermeasures can protect against modern threats
Advanced Fault Injection
No specific background required
Engineering / Security background preferred
Relevant for anyone working with embedded systems, from decision-makers to engineers
Understand security engineering principles
Understand an embedded system holistically
Setup protections against attacks
Tools, Attacks, Analysis
- Body Biasing injection (BBI) – precision localized glitches with high power electrical pulses
- Dual laser attacks with twin scan technology
- Biasing true random number generators with EM harmonic emission
- Perform double glitches and/or combine multiple trigger sources
- Create real-time scripts which allow nano-second precision control of the setup
- Visualize experiment results using data miningtooling an introduction
Case Studies & ‘FI in the dark’
Case study: secure boot
- Identify sensitive points in the secure boot process
- Prerequisites for attacking each sensitive point
- Break down the attack(s) into simple falsifiable tests
Case study: Characterization of a SoC
- Simple tests to identify fault models
- Hardware elements susceptible to faults: where did the fault occur?
- Software constructs susceptiblae to faults
- Knowing the fault models: how can your implementation be improved?
Implementing complex leakage models
- Use data post-processing to gain more insight into FI results.
- Reduce the complexity of an FI attack by breaking down the testing into falsifiable/simple tests.
- Use backside imagining/floorplans and FI results to navigate the die.
FI in the dark
- Identify side channels applicable for a test scenario to gather information
- Combine side channels and existing results to increase the attack success rates.
- Case study: DFA-protected AES implementation
- Case study: target without serial output.
Actionable and indispensable knowledge of security in Embedded Systems and IoT devices. Training on hardware and software security in a classroom setting, online or hosted in your own knowledge program.
What people say
“Very interesting learning approach and material across different aspects of state-of-the-art SoC development with Security in mind. I really want to thank Riscure for offering such good trainings, and the their trainers who make amazing use of their skills, experiences and kindness to easily communicate complex concepts to the audience.”
Get Started Today
Don’t let your organization’s embedded systems become an easy target. Invest in the security and success of your business by partnering with Riscure Academy. Contact us today to discuss your training needs and explore our approach. Together, we’ll empower your team to secure your organization’s future.
Frequently asked questions
Do you do individual training?
What is the minimum group size for your expert-led training program?
Are your programs delivered online or as classroom ?
customer's location. Our online programs blend self-paced e-learning, exercises, assessments, and in certain cases expert-sessions (like Q&A webinars or Group Exercises) with Riscure experts.
When can we start with the training/ what do the training schedules look like?
Does customer have access to the training materials after the program?
For expert-led group training, including online/hybrid and classroom formats, access to relevant training materials remains available after the training period. The formal training schedule with deadlines is coordinated between Riscure and the customer.